How to complain about a doctor working in a private hospital

Complaints Officer in the hospital

If you have a complaint about a doctor working in a private hospital, you should first complain to the hospital.

Most hospitals have a Complaints Officer who will take your complaint in person, over the phone or in writing. You can find out the contact details for the Complaints Officer through the hospital’s main phone number.

Medical Council

In cases where you feel there has been professional misconduct, you should refer your case to the Medical Council. The Medical Council is the regulator for all doctors working in Ireland, including doctors in hospitals.

You can find out more in our page on the Medical Council complaints procedures.

Page last updated: 22 August 2011