How to complain about a private optical service

Complain directly to the optician

If you have received optical services privately you should consider making a complaint directly to the optician (optometrist or dispensing optician), in the first instance.


CORU is the registration and regulatory body for opticians (optometrists and dispensing opticians).

You can find out more on our page on how to make a complaint to CORU.

Medical Council

Opthamologists are doctors who are regulated by the Medical Council.

In cases where you feel there has been professional misconduct, you should refer your case to the Medical Council. The Medical Council is the regulator for all doctors working in Ireland, including doctors in hospitals.

You can find out more in our page on the Medical Council complaints procedures.

Help and advocacy

If you would like help making your complaint, you can find a list of organisations that can help in our page on help and advocacy services.




Page last updated: 20 July 2016